4/27/2005

Long Letters or Short Letters -- Which Is Best?

Marcos and I have had a continuing debate on the merits of long enewsletters vs. short ones. Marcos favors short letters - he doesn't think readers are likely to go very far down on the page. I take the position that there is no such thing as a letter that is too long -- if the content is of use and interesting to the reader.

His reasoning is based on his experience with web site pages. A basic rule there is to reduce the need to scroll down the page.

My reasoning comes from my experience in the direct response business.We knew that direct mailings of letters that ran as long as 7 pages could produce very effective results. However, to be effective the copy could not be self-serving. Copy that brought new, vital information to the readers would be read, regardless of length -- and acted upon.

So, where do enewsletters fit? My position is that they are more like direct mail pieces - and that makes long copy valid.

I'd like to get some comment from our readers on this subject. Why don't you post something up on this subject?

Prescott "Pete" Lustig
Senior Marketing Strategist.